Monday, December 14, 2009

Brothers



The film, Brothers, carries potentially the most emotionally charged scenes in any movie I've seen all year. It is concordantly, devastating. At least it was for me. Who knew Toby Macguire had this in him? Clearly, Portman and Gyllenhaal are perfect for films of this weight. Raw and eviscerating, they carry them effortlessly. Brothers is a powerhouse of spot-on acting and almost unnerving emotional suspense. I am glad that I saw it-- it was brilliant (if only a little incongruent at the end). I regret seeing it when I did. I wasn't in a place to emotionally handle all it was pouring out.

Gyllenhaal, the consummate "screw up" brother, steps in beautifully and gracefully when he thinks his brother is dead, leaving a destroyed wife and two adorable girls. His place in their family is intricate and epic. The eldest daughter, played by Bailee Madison, breaks your heart in almost every scene. I mean a physical breaking, you hurt when this little girl does. Tobey Macguire comes back from his unimaginable horror as a POW, a frayed wire and terribly unhinged man. He no longer has a place in his family. He is eaten alive by guilt. It bleeds into his life and the drama unfolds.

Brothers was a wonderful film. Although, not for the emotionally faint of heart.



No comments:

Post a Comment