Monday, May 3, 2010

A different kind of weight

Is it possible to still be sad, in the presence of Jim James? Can you hear Gideon, the lights flashing behind your eyes like lightening, you can feel your heart beating through your shirt-- and not be taken away? Can these questions get any more dramatic? I guess for me last night, the answer is yes to all three.

You need to understand how much I love My Morning Jacket. They are my favorite living band of all time. The past two times I saw them definitely rank on the top 10 best nights of my life. They take me there in way nothing else can musically. I have a moderate to severe obsession with Jim James, the lead singer. Laci and I have spiritual experiences at these concerts. The fact that we got tickets so last minute and everyone was able to make it out, was a borderline miracle. Before Friday, I was already getting butterflies in anticipation for this show. I was so excited.

The My Morning Jacket concert yesterday was amazing. Of course. There was a phenomenal jazz band that opened for them (Special guest singer, Jim James with a 1950's megaphone. Yeah, that happened.) and then joined them for the last three songs of the night. Which included, Highly Suspicious, with horns and an upright bass. It was heaven. I was with my best friends and had the arms of a special somebody who is really tall and is rather adorable :) wrapped around me-- yet I was grounded. When I should have been soaring. I am so full of worry and anxiety. I love you Nanaw. I'll be there soon.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you had a good time--sorry about your Nanaw...

    ReplyDelete