Friday, January 8, 2010

Une vieille maîtresse, The Last Mistress





One of the strangest, oddly captivating, gorgeously filmed movies I've seen. In the vein of avant garde French films, it's not on a favorite's list, but it is definitely worth watching. The director, Catherine Breillat, is known for her cinematically sweeping yet controversial films.

Fu'ad Ait Aattou, originally a fashion model, has done no other film work besides this piece. He is so extraordinarily beautiful it is almost too much to look at him. It's like he is too handsome. Asia is wild, lust-filled and crazy, per usual. Together, they are an irregular combination of passion, despair, confusion, love and loyalty.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't seen any of her movies before. Did you get that documentary in the mail yet? :-) You half-way netflixter, you-- :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am such a half-way Netflixter! haha! I always go to the library and rent movies and forget about my Netflix. So to answer your question, and this may surprise you, but no. I haven't gotten it yet. :)

    ReplyDelete