Monday, January 18, 2010

I'm going to be your wound.



I saw "Spring Awakening" last Tuesday with Liz at the Aronoff. I was waiting to post
a full review, but the more I think about it, the less I can write. I
was profoundly moved and deeply affected by this musical. To say it
was amazing would be trite. It's dark and light and beautiful and
hideous and uncomfortable and opening. I have never been affected by a
stage performance the way I was by this. I may write out more
elaborate thoughts on it later...but for now, the lyrics can speak for
themselves.





[Wendla:] Just too unreal, all this
Watching the words fall from my lips

[Melchior:] Baiting some girl with hypotheses

[Both:] Haven’t you heard the word of your body?

[Melchior:] Don’t feel a thing, you wish

[Wendla:] Grasping at pearls with my fingertips

[Melchior:] Holding her hand like some tease

[Both:] Haven’t you heard the word of my wanting?
O, I’m gonna be wounded
O, I’m gonna be your wound
O, I’m gonna bruise you
O, you’re gonna be my bruise

Just too unreal, all this…

[Wendla:] Watching his world slip through my fist

[Melchior:] Playing with her in your fantasies

[Both:] Haven’t you heard the word – how I want you?

O, I’m gonna be wounded
O, I’m gonna be your wound
O, I’m gonna bruise you
O, you’re gonna be my bruise.

No comments:

Post a Comment