Tuesday, May 8, 2012

When you write lines like, "Please don't go. I'll eat you up, I love you so."-- you live forever. RIP Maurice Sendak.



"I have nothing now but praise for my life. I'm not unhappy. I cry a lot because I miss people. They die and I can't stop them. They leave me and I love them more. ... What I dread is the isolation. ... There are so many beautiful things in the world which I will have to leave when I die, but I'm ready, I'm ready, I'm ready."

http://jezebel.com/5908523/maurice-sendak-had-little-tolerance-for-bullshit-and-other-fond-memories

Sendak dismissed the notion that children were simple creatures who were easy to please and believed that most children's literature was crap. He would occasionally respond to letters from fans with original illustrations, and was famously delighted by a letter he received from the mother of a child who had received such a letter; according to Sendak, the child loved his drawing so much that he ate it, and that was the best compliment that he possibly could have gotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment